Our car seat distribution program distributes car seats within our four-county service area of Boone, Colfax, Nance and Platte counties.
This program is made possible through the purchase of child safety seats by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.
- A parent or legal guardian shall be considered eligible to receive a child safety seat if they are a current Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) client or meet the current WIC income guidelines.
- Parents and legal guardians are eligible if they are currently enrolled in Medicaid or other state assistance program(s), such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- Pregnant women are also eligible for a car seat as long as the above qualifications are met and a physician’s note of positive pregnancy is shown.
- Income guidelines shall be used if the client is not on supplemental assistance. A current pay stub will be required for proof of income.
2023 WIC Household Income Guidelines*
|Family Size||Annual||Monthly||Twice Monthly||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
- The program will operate on a referral basis only. There will be no public advertisement.
- Child must be present.
- If a car seat is already present in the vehicle, a seat inspection by a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician must be done to determine need.
- Limit of one car seat per household.
- The primary vehicle in which the car seat will be used must be present for installation.
- Car seat must go to the primary caregiver of the child who will be using the car seat (parent or legal guardian). The parent or legal guardian must be present to receive a car seat.
- Families who have already received a car seat through this NE DHHS program do not qualify.
ECDHD employs a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to ensure the car seat is properly installed according to manufacturer guidelines. The technician will provide education on proper use and installation as well as Nebraska car seat laws.
A document with the following information will be updated as car seats are distributed and installed:
- Parent or legal guardian name and signature
- Qualification(s) verification method (SNAP, WIC, etc.)
- Car Seat Technician name and signature