Skip to main content

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

Formula Shortage FAQs

Is there a recipe for homemade baby formula?

The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly advises AGAINST feeding your baby homemade formula.  Making infant formula used to be common.  Today we know that homemade formula is not safe for your baby.  The first year of life is an important stage of development.  Improper nutrition during this time can have long-term effects.

Can my baby drink cow, goat, or plant-based milk?

Plant based milk, like soy, almond, hemp, etc., is NOT SAFE for your baby.  According to the CDC, cow's milk may put babies under 12 months old at risk for intestinal bleeding.  Animal milk has too many proteins and minerals for your baby's kidneys to handle, and does not have the right amount of nutrients your baby needs.

Is it okay to buy formula from another country?

The FDA does not check formulas from other countries for safety.  Shop at well-known stores and websites located inside the United States.

Can I add more water to the formula to make it last longer?

Formula made with too much water can cause your baby to lose weight, or become malnourished.  Adding cereal to your baby's formula bottle can increasing the risk of choking.  Your baby's pediatrician or healthcare provider, a WIC nutritionist, or the local food bank may be able to help you locate formula.

  • Due to the Abbott formula recall, you may be having a hard time finding the formula you normally get from WIC at the grocery store. Nebraska WIC has received waivers from USDA allowing us to TEMPORARILY offer different brands of formula until more formula that is not affected by the recall is available

Patty Long

WIC Director

The Women, Infants and Children program, commonly known as WIC, provides nutrition education, resource referrals, and nutritious foods to supplement diets for low-income women, infants and children up to the age of five, who are at a nutrition risk.

WIC plays an important role in the overall health of our community.

  • WIC decreases the rates of birth defects and preterm deliveries by educating parents about the risks and outcomes of certain types of lifestyle behaviors during pregnancy.
  • WIC monitors iron levels of participants; we educate mothers on the importance of a healthy iron level for the development of their child(ren).
  • WIC provides nutrition education and healthy foods, enabling families to make lifelong healthy eating and lifestyle choices.
  • WIC foods are specifically selected for their nutritional value and provide essential vitamins, minerals and key nutrients to ensure good health, growth and development.
  • Providing breastfeeding education to mothers increases the likelihood that mothers will breastfeed.  Breastfeeding reduces risks such as: breast cancer, ovarian cancer, Type 2 diabetes and postpartum depression.
  • Babies who are breastfed reduce their risk of: obesity, lower respiratory infections; Type 2 diabetes; asthma and; SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

WIC Walk-In Clinic Hours

Columbus:  4321 41st Ave., (402) 564-9931 

  • Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.  (Closed for lunch 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
  • Thursdays and Fridays 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  (Closed for lunch 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.)

Schuyler:  316 East 11th St.

  • Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

WIC helps eligible families with:

Healthy Food
Breastfeeding Support
Nutrition Education
Health and community resources 

Is My Family Eligible?

  • You must live in Nebraska. You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to apply. 
  • If you are on Medicaid, SNAP, or TANF you are income-eligible. If you don’t qualify for these programs, you may still qualify for WIC depending on the income of your household.
  • Individuals who receive benefits are pregnant, breastfeeding or postpartum women, infants, and children up to age five.
  • All foster children under age five are eligible for WIC.

To apply for WIC, ask questions, or schedule an appointment please call us at 402-564-9931 during our office hours.

How do I apply?

Step 1:  Find a WIC clinic near you.
Step 2:  Call to make an appointment.
Step 3:  Bring proof of identification, address and income to your WIC appointment.

1 Proof of Identity, 1 Proof of Residency, and 1 Proof of Income are required at each certification and re-certification appointment.

If one of these proofs are missing, then the appointment will need to be rescheduled and no benefits can be issued.

Examples of Proofs Required at Certifications

Proof of Identity Examples:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Valid Photo ID (driver’s license, passport, school ID)
  • Social Security Card
  • WIC Enrollment Card

Proof of Residency Examples:

  • Mail that has been postmarked within the last 30 days
  • Lease agreement
  • Online utility bill showing service address

Proof of Income Examples:

  • Medicaid Card
  • SNAP/EBT Card
  • Notice of Action
  • Pay stubs (one months worth) 

Income Guidelines (Effective July 1, 2022)

Frozen Fruits and Vegetables are now authorized for purchase with your eWIC Card!

Physician Authorization Form

If you are a WIC participant with a medical condition that requires the use of specialty formula or if you are on a restricted diet, you must get documentation of this from a physician.  This is a federal requirement.  For more information, visit



The U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all protected bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at , or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202)690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.