What we’re about:
Tobacco Free Platte and Colfax Tobacco Prevention coalitions work to reduce exposure to second hand smoke in homes and vehicles. As the communities become more aware of the prevalence and risks of second hand smoke, it is hoped that attitudes and eventually behavioral changes will occur.
It is also the intention of the coalitions to reduce initiation of smoking in the younger population. When businesses are compliant with laws regarding tobacco sales to minors and when teens become more aware of marketing done by the tobacco companies, it is hoped that they will choose against smoking.
The Tobacco Prevention Coalitions were formed in 2001, and funding is provided to the ECDHD by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services System/Tobacco Free Nebraska program as a result of the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
- Interested members of the community are welcome to join the coalitions.
- Tobacco Free Colfax County Coalition meets every second Monday of the month, from 12:05 to 1:00, at the Schuyler Municipal Building.
- Tobacco Free Platte County Coalition meets the last Tuesday of the month, from 12:05 to 1:00,at ECDHD in the conference room.
- We have a large selection of tobacco prevention material available at our office. These include brochures, displays, and teaching tools.
- Also available are videos from Tobacco Free Nebraska.
Tobacco Prevention services are available free of charge.
- Monthly coalition meetings in Columbus and Schuyler.
- Participation in community events.
- Promoting compliance to laws prohibiting sale of tobacco products to minors.
- Brochures, posters, videos, CD's "hands on" style teaching aids.
- Work with local schools, campuses and businesses on Tobacco Free policies.
- Work with local parks and outdoor recreation areas on Tobacco Free policies.
Cost of Services:
Tobacco Prevention services and resources are available free of charge.
For more information on the Tobacco Prevention Program call 402-563-9656.
24 Hour Tobacco Free Nebraska Quitline- Free of Charge:
1-800- QUIT-NOW. (1-800-784-8669)
Nebraska Clean Indoor Air Act Resources:
For more information regarding the Nebraska Clean Indoor Air Act visit: Nebraska DHHS Smoke Free Nebraska